Saturday, October 16, 2010

The power of words

I never knew my mother, even though I lived with her and my stepfather for 10 years. My mother and father separated and divorced when I was three years old. Because of a bout of strep throat, (my drunk aunt and uncle couldn't be bothered to check on me). I nearly died because of their lack of responsibility. I was sent to live with my grandparents for five years. When I was eight years old, my mother remarried a very disassociated man, who, as soon as possible after my mother got pregnant, divorced me. After all, I wasn't a member of HIS famiy. My mother supported his disassociation with me, because, I think that she didn't want to fail at another relationship. She always ran my real father down, because, after all she was the one who requested the divorce. I finally found my real father, when I was 23 years old. He showed me the divorce papers. In them, it stated that he was the one who requested the divorce because of my mother's proven infidelity. I found out then why my middle name was what it was. She had given me the middle name of her lover.

When I left our family home to join the Army, she told me I would never amount to anything. My whole life was spent, all 55 years since then, trying to prove her wrong. Instead, her prophecy turned out to be right.

2 comments:

  1. We often allow our family of origin to influence our decisions in our lives however you can be sure that you have amounted to much more than she ever expected. Don't take the opinion of an angry and unhappy person to heart. You have made a life since then and have proven over and over that you are someone special. Remember when you have doubts that you are loved unconditionally and not just by me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wayne,
    Hey buddy, I have to echo what Heather has so articulately stated. In fact, you have amounted to a great deal. You know this and we must not let negative 'hype' overwhelm our self esteem.
    Wayne, you are a kind, caring and decent man. That amounts to an awful lot.
    With respect and kindness, your friend, Gary.

    ReplyDelete